Wednesday 10 March 2010

The strangest game I've played!

Last night I played the strangest game of Necromunda in my life. It certainly left me baffled as I couldn't figure out how it could have happened. I couldn't even put it down to me getting used to my new adopted gang (only their second fight under my leadership). I just... it went... the dice... what!
I went down to the club after French class as usual to get my Ratskins some more experience. The challenge I made couldn't happen as my opponent was already taking on another player. So I had a casual game against Carlos and his Pit Slaves. This probably should have been fun as long as I didn't get into close combat with them. We rolled for the scenario and chose The Hunters, in which I was to be the attacker. We would set up our models just like in the Gun Fight scenario, except that I would get all my gang available while Carlos got to take d6 of his gang. He rolled a one! As two of my guys had the Infiltrate skill, it looked to be twelve against one (although Carlos could deploy the rest of his gang on the table edges). After making the Initiative rolls it was clear that the odds were against the lonely Pit Slave the order of shooting put all of my Ratskins first. So we started the game and our respective gangs started to move towards each other. Eventually the shooting kicked off. What happened next would shock anyone.
Out of twelve Ratskins, only eight could shoot (one failed a Stupidity roll from a Head Wound and three others had move or fire weapons). The eight Ratskins that could shoot all failed to hit or failed to would. This was awful. The lone Pit Slave (a Servitor with the Bulging Biceps skill) opened up with it's Heavy Stubber. It took out my Leader and pinned three others. Three Ratskins fled the scene when the leader went down. And that was before Carlos took his turn.
Carlos brought the rest of the Pit Slaves forward. Out came another Servitor with Heavy Stubber and pinned those who were not pinned or fleeing. Two Pit Slaves came out and charged two of my fleeing warriors, and promptly put them Out Of Action with their awesome Buzz Saws. This triggered a Bottle Roll on my behalf which I promptly failed. GAME OVER!
That's right! GAME OVER!
I had the advantage but was let down by the dice. They failed to work for me yet again. Having said that, the dice made up for it in the after game by giving some nice skills and characteristic upgrades to the majority of my warriors (I now have another Infiltrator, two Ratskins have the Evade skill which could prove useful and one warrior has a full compliment of wounds).
That was possibly the most WTF game I've played in any system. Nothing went right at all and there was certainly no explanation as to why. The most annoying thing about the game was the fact that my leader was taken out right at the first minute yet again. The who should be the best Ratskin in my gang, could not even take the chance to show it. What an absolute disappointment. I just hope for the next game he can actually stand up for much longer than he has done so previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment