Tuesday 16 March 2010

Erm... fail better!

My latest game at the club saw my Ratskins pursue a campaign action against those muscle-brained Goliaths. I was hoping to get my first win this year (not an uncommon wish for any game that I play) and to do that I had to remember things. Those things included: remembering the fact that my leader (The Great White Rat) has got a Blindsnake Pouch (which stopped him from getting hurt a couple of times), remembering the fact that all games involving Ratskins are subject to Treacherous Conditions (I rolled for Toxic Fog which helped reduce the vision of the Goliaths) and remembering that some of my gang have been armed with move or fire weapons. Marcus (the Goliath owner) was otherwise occupied with a game of Warmachine, which I also have to get back into at some point, so a guy called Fishy (Ben) stood in for him. We set up for a Gang Fight scenario and I was hoping to (once again?) take advantage of my numbers – 14v9.

Having played two games with my hunters, I got a better idea on how to group my gang. I put the move or fire weapons in one group hoping to have them race towards the enemy and another of fairly reliable weapons (lasguns) coming up behind them. They were separate from my three infiltrators, who looked to spring a surprise.
Ben rolled and got the first turn in which nothing much happened. My turn saw a rather bold forward action as everyone ran towards the enemy. My infiltrators popped out of their hidey-hole and opened up on a pair of Goliaths. This turned out to be a little futile as last week’s bad dice appears to be still with me. Ben managed to get one of his gangers to throw a Hallucinogen Grenade. Although this did not have any effect on my Ratskins, it still moved around the table much like Seeawee (still suffering the effects of Stupidity, just kept moving aimlessly across the board until he got taken Out Of Action). I started to take casualties at a frightening rate while at the same time I wasn’t causing them. The gang stood their ground when it came to taking Bottle tests. It got frustrating when, not only were the few shots that actually fired failing to wound, the Goliath who threw the Hallucinogen Grenade took Flesh Wound after Flesh Wound getting up after each. At the end of the game, he took one too many and went Out Of Action.
I did manage to force Ben into a Bottle test, but he passed. In the subsequent turn, I failed mine making me lose the game. I did feel that I was onto a winner here and could have earned some campaign points for my Ratskins. It wasn’t meant to be.
The post game stuff saw my gang get a few useful skills which I can put to good use in my next game. No-one died or prematurely retired which was a good thing. My next game should be better (I’ll be looking to explore my surroundings and try to expand my territories in order to gain more Campaign points).

No comments:

Post a Comment