Tuesday 29 January 2013

Circle Double Header 22 Jan


Last Tuesday, I got two games in. Originally I had booked up to play Tom and his Circle in the second gaming session of the night. I arrived in time for the first session so I could watch some of the other games that were going on. The games looked interesting, so I went upstairs to the bar to get a pint and then began to watch my fellow club mates throw down. When I got back to the basement, one of our newer attendees, a guy called Darren, had bought his new Circle army with him and was looking for a game. So we grabbed a free table and got down to business. Darren had bought a pBaldur list which included the Woldwrath, Megalith, Woldguardian, a unit of Druids, Sentry Stone and Mannikins, Sentry Stones and a Blackclad Wayfarer. My Intercessor Kreoss list had been re-jigged from it's previous outing: the battlegroup consisting of Fire of Salvation, Sanctifier and (making it's debut) Guardian and these were supported by a maximum Choir, maximum Errants with UA, Knights Exemplar, maximum Vengers and an Errant Seneschal. Without anymore playtime thia week, this will be the list I will settle for Saturday's one day event.
I had won the roll off and opted to go first. This would't have had much effect on the game except maybe if I had got Darren to set up first. I basically fed the Vengers to a unit of Druids while he core of his force shuffled up through the middle of the park. I tried to get my Errants to outflank Darren's force but I had placed them too far out and movd them up too slowly. That left the central blob of everything else in red and cream to get slowly chewed up by Megalith and Woldguardian. pBaldur's feat was really annoying and Megalith kept popping Undergrowth which meant that he could laugh at the threat range of my Knights. With the Vengers gone very early and my centre being attacked at will, the game slowly ran away from me, eventually resulting in Megalith giving Kreoss a solid beating.

Next up was Tom and his Kromac flavoured circle. I wanted to give my eFeora list another run out before Saturday. Feora bought along: Judicator, Sanctifier, Reckoner, maximum Temple Flameguard with UA, Daughters, Rhoven and Co and a Mechanic.
Things did not start well at all with the Judicator missing wih it's rockets and secondary deviations resulting in one of the objectives and a TFG set on fire. Tom's Warpwolf Stalker had successfully got the drop on my Reckoner and totalled it, here Tom had managed to secure himself a shed load of CPs, making it very hard for me to now win on scenario. The Daughters were killed off early on after being Preyed on by some Bloodtrackers and I started losing stuff bit by bit. The Judicator did see some mele action, so fully loaded up with Focus it went to town on Tom's Stalker and Ghetorix. However, Judicator fluffed it's charge attack roll. Still it took the Staller down with ease and put a fiar amount, but not enough damage on Ghetorix. Needless to say that fluffing the charge attack was critical here. Tom ploughed through the rest of my army and scoring enough CPs to win the game as both Feora and Kromac were safely out of assassination range.
Misfortune played a part in this game when Feora decided to get her hands dirty. She positioned herself to fry four Bloodtrackers with her Flamethrower. At RAT 5 she needed to boost all of her attack rolls. She fluffed two of the rolls, one of which was a triple one.
No doubt it was a harsh night but one or two things lodged themselves in my mind like the positioning of Judicators's human shield and forgetting about having one of Kreoss's jack advance move before the game. It was encouraging however to see the melee damage the Judicator can cause and using Kreoss's feat a tad more efficiently.
Considering the two defeats (which takes my streak to six losses), I didn't actually feel that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment