Monday 6 August 2012

Is the Avatar really the centre piece of my army?

Is the Avatar of Menoth really supposed to be the centrepiece of my army? The fluff and the artwork certainly say so. But the model itself? While I was waiting last night for the undercoat to dry on my Daughters, I decided to put together all of my unassembled jacks. As I finished each one, I stood them next to the Avatar. The Avatar has been sitting on my paint table for a while now. Up until recently he has been flanked by two Road Hogs. Firstly, The Road Hogs look more substantial than the AoM and don’t have those pathetic looking legs. Secondly, the new plastic kits look more substantial than the AoM. Having put the AoM next to the Sanctifier (which looks good, I’m so glad I’ve got one now) and I asked my wife which one she thought was better and she pointed to the Sanctifier. I did not mention their abilities or stats for fear of getting that glazed-over look (the one I usually give her when she talks (lectures) me about the similarity between paintings by Claude Vernet and Richard Parkes Bonnington). While I like the Avatar for what it can do on the tabletop but now that I’m enjoying painting a little more these days, I just can’t face finishing it.

I am currently making my way through all of the rest of my jacks hoping to field an almost fully painted force for an Unbound game. I’ve just now finished off a Devout and a Revenger and am now working on my three Dervishes. It’s quite rare that I use a light jack in my army and have forgotten how ridiculous the feet of the Devouts and Dervishes are (talk about clown shoes). After these, I’ll hopefully move on to another Devout, a Redeemer and a couple of Repenters, before moving onto a Sanctifier and Vanquisher and then my three remaining character jacks. The last of these character jacks will undoubtedly be the AoM. In fact I’m almost convinced that I will commission someone to paint him.

No comments:

Post a Comment